Business Meeting Report

Shire of Sylvan Glen

Business Meeting 

11/7/17

ATTENDING: Ursula, Elektra, Orlando, Mark, Hrefna, Grimolfr, Katherine, Chauncey, Umm Samin

MEETING MINUTES – Approve October’s minutes.

OPENING:

1. Introduce newcomers. None
2. Any awards/recognition received by Shire members since last meeting? None

NEW BUSINESS:

1. December shire business meetings – discussed options to change things up. December meeting will be a social “bring-a-thing” night, and we will conduct any business that needs to be conducted as some point during the evening. Bring a project if you want, or just come and socialize and snack. Place will be at Elektra’s home. Dec 1st Tuesday7pm.
2. Several positions will be opening up next May – consider if you are willing to take a position. Positions opening up – (currently held by):
1. Chronicler (Orlando)
2. Herald (Takeda)
3. MOL (Umbriana)
4. Rapier Marshal (Genshin)
5. Seneschal (Elektra)
6. Webminister (Samin)

Letters of intent should be submitted by March or April shire meeting. Elections will be held at the May business meeting.

GUILD REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion

3. INKS Guild –Beth Nagy – on hiatus
4. Cooks Guild – Etain – on hiatus

ACTIVITY OFFICERS REPORTS – refer to calendar

5. Rapier – THL Genshin
6. Heavy – Sir Kjartan
7. A&S – Lady Samin

ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS REPORTS

8. Exchequer –Orlando
(a) Balance  7,476.80
(b) Deposits  none
(c) Expenses  $300 paid to Jaques for reimbursement of expenses for chatelaine position
(d) Financial committee activity – None
(e) Notes: 2018 budget requests by shire officers are due by November business meeting
9. Chatelaine – Jaques
10. Webminister – Samin – she has been updating the website regularly and posting on the shire FB page when updates have been made. Marshals, make sure your calendars are correct.
11. Herald – Takeda 
12. Historian – Katharine
13. Chronicler – Orlando
14. MOL –Umbriana

CALENDAR REVIEW 

OLD BUSINESS

15. Apple Butter Festival Demo – Samin/Jaques. 88% increase to hits to website next day. 6 people filled out interest form. 300 flyers handed out. 8 people in the parade plus the float. Approximately 150 people stopped by. Couple of rattan fighters for part of Saturday, several fencers throughout the day. Large A&S display. 
16. Kingdom 12th Night – Samin/Etain. Date is January 6, 2018. Need lots of help with set up on Friday night because we have to pay their staff for every hour we are on site. Also need retainers for the day (see Ursula). Samin discussed planned activities for the day. 
17. Springtime Promise: The Hand Fasting of Eoghan and Svenja – Hrefna – Date is March 23-25, 2018. No updates. No needs at this time. Hrefna will be working in the background for now.

OPEN FLOOR

Katharine asked people to take pictures at Twelfth Night.  

Meeting adjourned  8:10pm

Submitted,

Orlando di Bene del Vinta,

Chronicler

__._,_.___

7/11/2017

Attending:

Elektra, Orlando, Hrefna, Mark, Grimolfr, Samin, Arianna, Dunstan, Jacques, Umbrianna, Cynewyn.

MEETING MINUTES – Approve June’s minutes

 OPENING:

1. Special remarks. Lord Petr Kotok died this week. Next shire meeting we spend a little time officially remembering him.
2. Introduce newcomers- none tonight
3. Any awards/recognition received by Shire members since last meeting? None

NEW BUSINESS:

1. Demo at Apple Butter Festival in Berkeley Springs – Samin. Oct 7 & 8.  Have secured a spot for $75 for the weekend. Highland Forde interested in participating and support. Total of $250 allocated. Motion raised and passed.  Samin will work under the direction of the Chatelaine, Jacques.  
2. March 23-25 regional fighter practice and day of tournaments. Hrefna volunteering to organize. The practice will culminate with a wedding at the end of the day of Jeff York. Practice will be at Camp Frame. No cost associated with this practice.

 GUILD REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion

4. INKS Guild – Angelino/Ursula – on hiatus
5. Cooks Guild – Etain – on hiatus

ACTIVITY OFFICERS REPORTS 

6. Rapier – THL Genshin. See calendar.
1. Uji got authorized
7. Heavy – Sir Kjartan. Practices ongoing weekly. See calendar. 
8. A&S – Samin- Would like to do a monthly A&S night. Going to put a poll on Facebook to capture interest, willingness to teach, etc. 

ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless necessary

9. Exchequer –Orlando
1. Balance – $7,776.80
2. Deposits – none
3. Expenses – $660.03 to Aethelmearc for their portion of proceeds from crown tourney
4. Financial committee activity – need to confirm new members if no other volunteers (Genshin and Snaebjorn)
5. Reimbursements: none
10. Chatelaine – Jacques
11. Webminister – Samin
12. Herald – Takeda 
13. Historian – Katharine
14. Chronicler – Orlando
15. MOL – Umbriana- will be doing training at Pennsic 

CALENDAR REVIEW 

16. Shire Day in the Park – next one is July 16 – Elektra unable to attend. Arianna teaching. 12p-3p. 
17. Pennsic is coming – no Shire meeting for August per bylaws
18. Shire Day in the Park for August – on Aug 20 – Mark intends to set up a pavilion. Going to change location in the park for this time down near the front gate. Let’s make this one a big spectacle. Bring banners and attention-getting stuff 

 OLD BUSINESS

19. Spring Event – Bruno & Kjartan continuing to consider and work on potential event
20. Kingdom 12th Night Bid – Samin. Submitting bid to Kingdom (as this is a Kingdom event ant not a shire event)

SENESCHAL MINUTES

None

 OPEN FLOOR

Please see Arianna if you would like to assist with the Known Worlde Kingdom Party at Pennsic

Meeting adjourned 8:13p. 

Respectfully submitted,

Orlando di Bene del Vinta,

Chronicler

Business Meeting Report

6/6/2017

No minutes available, regular chronicler was unable to attend the meeting

Business Meeting Report

5/2/2017

Present: Elektra, Orlando, Laurentia, Arianna, Lasairfhiona, Seumas, Durante, Samin, Ursula,  Chauncey, Katharine, Takeda, Hrefna, Grimolfr, Dunstan, Cynwyn, Kjartan

 MEETING MINUTES – Approve April’s minutes

 OPENING:

• Introduce newcomers- 
• Awards or accomplishments?
   -Durante- Golden Escarbuncle and Queen’s Inspiration at Coronation
   -Durante won Ice Dragon rapier tourney
   -Samin won Studio Arts category at Ice Dragon and the 5 in 1 Competition at Ice Dragon 
   -Orlando made a Court Baron at Ice Dragon
• Write in awards – any notable items seen from other members?

 OFFICER ELECTIONS

  New officer appointments
Exchequer – Orlando
Knight Marshal – Kjartan
Archery Marshal – vacant
Youth Marshal –vacant
A&S Minister- Umm Samin
Chatelaine – Jacques
Thrown Weapons Marshal -vacant

 GUILD REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion

• INKS Guild – Angelino/Ursula- no activity
• Cooks Guild – Going on hiatus for summer months after this month’s two meetings. Please see calendar on shire website for dates/ times.

ACTIVITY OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless deemed necessary

• Rapier –  practices on Sunday but looking to change to alternating Thursdayevenings. Durante is now a warranted youth rapier marshal. Samin will update the website to reflect availability of youth rapier activities available. 
• Heavy – no recent activity. New marshal named this evening. Going to explore who are the active and interested fighters and will be deciding on when practices will be held based on that information.
• Archery – activities suspended indefinitely. Will coordinate transferring equipment to storage unit.  
• Thrown Weapons – equipment in storage. Activities suspended indefinitely
• Youth fighting – equipment in storage. Activities suspended indefinitely
• A&S – Arianna/Samin: Report due by the end of the month. Please email Samin with information regarding anything you’ve worked on this quarter. Contact info on shire website or Facebook. 

 ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless necessary

• Exchequer – Orlando
  • Recent financial activity for April included advance payment to Arianna for Crown day board, storage unit fees, and money for troll start up for Crown Tourney. No activity by the Financial Committee this past month.
  • Chatelaine – No recent recruitment activities. Gold key will be moved to storage
  • Webminister – Samin
  • Herald – Takeda. No activity. Herald available.
  • Historian – Katharine. Would like photographs and reports from Ice Dragon
  • Chronicler – Orlando. Still chronicling. 
  • MOL – Jacques and Umbriana. No report.

CALENDAR REVIEW 

• Shire Day in the Park – next day will be Sunday, May 21 @ 12p-3p. Arts activities are planned. Elektra will bring grill and pot luck is encouraged. Garb optional.  Bring any banners or anything that would draw attention of onlookers.  

OLD BUSINESS

• Crown Tourney – Hrefna- Looking for banners for display in feast hall. Going to need volunteers for troll. Etain will be leading troll but needs additional bodies to sit with her (two are needed at troll).   Will be on site by10am on Friday if anyone available for assistance in setup. Still finalizing set up layout. Donations of items for breakfast and travelers repast appreciated. 
• Library Demo – canceled for this year
• Fall event – Bruno and Kjartan both got new members of the family. Unable to work on event. Will report back to seneschal in near future whether this is a viable event.

SENESCHAL MINUTES

-Pleased with service of former officers and excited for the service of the incoming officers. Thank you!

OPEN FLOOR

-Ursula: make copy of auth card or take photo

-Arianna: if you want to help in kitchen during Crown Tourney, please just show up and a job will be found! Also, AEthelmearc Kingdom Cooks Guild will be preparing food for Known World Party at Pennsic. If you want to help, or provide beverage, please contact Arianna.

-Hrefna: Coordinating kid and teen party at Pennsic. Doing s’mores. If you would like to help or provide supplies or money, please contact Hrefna.

-Orlando: talked about the Spark Challenge announced by TRM.

Meeting adjourned 8:15p

Faithfully submitted,

Orlando di Bene del Vinta,

Chronicler

Sylvan Glen Business Meeting
7pm
4/4/17

ATTENDING: Durante, Orlando, Valaista, Seumas, Ursula, Samin, Arianna, Bera, Snaebjorn, Griffin, Chauncey, Katharine, Takeda, Hrefna, Grim, Laurentia, Mark

MEETING MINUTES – Approve March’s minutes

OPENING:

• Introduce newcomers: Valaista. 
• Awards or accomplishments? Samin won the interbaronial championship in Atlantia  for her painting of Peter Bruegel the Elder. 
• Write in awards. We are hosting a kingdom event next month.

NEW BUSINESS

• Officer Positions open – election to be held next month
Exchequer – Orlando
Knight Marshal – Durante 
Archery Marshal –
Youth Marshal –
A&S Minister – Samin
Chatelaine – 
Thrown Weapons Marshal –

GUILD REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion

• INKS Guild – Angelino/Ursula—still meeting on Wednesdays. 
• Cooks Guild – watch calendar for meetings. Arianna will get the info to Samin on dates. 

 ACTIVITY OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless deemed necessary

• Rapier – Meeting at Ailianora’s on Sundays at noon. No practice this week (4/9/17). Durante is going to step forward as the shire marshal and Takeda will step back as the deputy. 
• Heavy – Bruno on hiatus
• Archery – Seumas — Next practice on April 15th. Watch the calendar and list for updates and changes. Effective in May, marshal is stepping down and there is no additional marshal, therefore archery activities are suspended until further notice.
• Thrown Weapons – No warranted marshals and Grim is stepping down Thrown weapons practice is suspended until further notice. 
• Youth fighting – Elektra—on hiatus
• A&S – Arianna. 

ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless necessary

• Exchequer – Laurentia
Balance? $6820.54
Reimbursements? 12th Night reimbursement. Writing check for yearly storage fee. 
• Chatelaine – Reina
• Webminister – Samin  Would like all marshals to update her on practices with full addresses. Also meetings and practices that are at a private home and address is not posted need to have an email or contact method so that people can make contact to get the address. Not everyone is checking emails regularly so inquiries are going unanswered for long periods. Not a good way to get people involved. Anyone interested in being a deputy, please let Samin known. 
• Herald – Takeda 
• Historian – Katharine handed a Q&A worksheet for shire members to fill out with information about thenmselves. Please return next month.
• Chronicler – Orlando
• MOL – Jacques and Umbriana. 

 CALENDAR REVIEW 

• Shire Day in the Park on hiatus for winter – next day will be May 21. War Memorial Park. 

 OLD BUSINESS

• Crown Tourney – Hrefna. Reported updates on numerous details. Things running smoothly and on track. Site is available on Friday and help setting up would be appreciated during the day (site opens at 5pm to populace). Hrefna will announce to shire list what time helpers can come to site once details are finalized.  Donations to day board (talk to Arianna) or Traveler’s Repast (talk to Hrefna) would be appreciated.  
• Library Demo – Reina/Katharine – Library has contacted us – the “main library” has scheduled their “CON” on the same date. The library asks if we can reschedule – the branch won’t have staff to support the event. Possible early fall date (September or October, pending upon what Bruno does with his potential event). 
• Fall event – Bruno still working on. Hope to have something soon. 

SENESCHAL MINUTES

• Sorry to miss you all again. 

 OPEN FLOOR

-Samin entering the Pent and the 5-in-1 at Ice Dragon this weekend.

-Arianna is involved in a Shepherd University theatrical production.

Meeting adjourned 7:34p

Submitted,

Orlando di Bene del Vinta,

Chronicler

Sylvan Glen Business Meeting
7pm
3/7/17

ATTENDING: Ursula, Orlando, Hrefna, Grimolfr, Seamus, Takeda, Laurentia

MEETING MINUTES – Approve February’s minutes. Note—summary of discussion forthcoming and will be posted to the list. I haven’t had time to get them typed up yet (received foster children 3 days after our meeting)

OPENING:

• Introduce newcomers- None
• Awards or accomplishments? None
• Write in awards – any notable items seen from other members?

NEW BUSINESS

• Recap from February’s meeting:
No Siege of Glengary – alternate smaller event being planned by Bruno and Kjartan
Need to create a ‘spectacle’ – use Shire Day in the Park? Next Day in the Park May 21.
Activities in other areas of the Shire’s boundaries – suggestions? 
Shire purchase of a pavilion – size? Where to purchase? Suggestion to have a point person take on this project and report back to the shire. Interested parties should reach out to the seneschal 
• Shire Vision/Mission – briefly discuss – take ideas in minutes- Tabled for this meeting. 
• Open floor for any comments/discussion related to February’s meeting. Nothing else added. 

GUILD REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion

• INKS Guild – Watch the calendar for any scheduled meetings.
• Cooks Guild – Continues to meet. Look at calendar.

ACTIVITY OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless deemed necessary

• Rapier – Takeda – on hiatus 
• Heavy – Bruno on hiatus
• Archery – Seumas — Open on April 18, 11a-3p on first and third Saturday. See webpage for address. 
• Thrown Weapons – Grimolfr – on hiatus
• Youth fighting – Elektra—on hiatus
• A&S – Arianna- Nothing to report. People doing personal projects.

ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless necessary

• Exchequer – Laurentia
Reimbursements? See Laurentia.
• Chatelaine – Reina. Nothing to report. Need volunteers to make Library demo to work. 
• Webminister – Samin  will post when updates are done to draw attention to the website and to check for accuracy
• Herald – Takeda 
• Historian – Katharine
• Chronicler – Orlando
• MOL – Jacques and Umbriana

CALENDAR REVIEW 

• Shire Day in the Park on hiatus for winter – next day will be May 21.
• Not many activities planned in Shire – consider supporting other local groups activities. Suggestions?

OLD BUSINESS

• Crown Tourney – Hrefna displayed the tokens. Etain is looking for volunteers  to sit troll. Connecting with Earl Marshal. May need additional day shades. Elf is looking for donations for hospitality table. Friday night is travelers repast and Hrefna is working on that (treat donations appreciated). Discussed having an express line for check in at troll for combatants. Hrefna described the sleeping arrangements. Helping bagging lunches Friday night would be helpful. 
• Library Demo – Reina/Katharine – June 3. Nothing to report.  

SENESCHAL MINUTES

• I will try to make April meeting – VERY busy with foster kids and tax season
• Thank you to everyone in the shire! I look forward to putting our last month’s meeting ideas into action. Sorry I couldn’t make it tonight.

OPEN FLOOR

None

Meeting adjourned at 7:25p.

Respectfully submitted,

Orlando di Bene del Vinta,

Chronicler

Sylvan Glen Business Meeting
7pm
2/7/17
Attending: Elektra, Grimolfr, Hrefna, Bera, Arianna, Rufus, Eleanor, Seamus, Rosamund, Durante, Mark, Bruno, Orlando, Margarita, Reina, Catherine, Chauncey, Takeda, Kjartan
No officer reports were collected or reported this evening.

1. Crown Tourney Update: Have first reservation. Checked in with staff and good progress there. No concerns at this time. Etain is looking for volunteers for Troll- please consider volunteering.

2. 12th Night Report: Several shire members recognized with awards by the Crown. 39 total attendance. Winners of the contests were reported.
3. Library Demo: June 3rd confirmed as date for Library demo.
4. Roundtable Discussion. The seneschal raised several questions as starting points for a general discussion and brainstorming session. This discussion was free form and unstructured. Questions and topics included how to make shire fun again and not keep draining our resources, and where is the shire going? There was discussion of the importance of nurturing our members and focusing of sharing our love and passions with others and not focus on recruitment “just to get the numbers up.” Comments made regarding there previously being a lot more activities together as a shire outside of the SCA domain and there was suggestion to do more of this. Additionally, conversation about the concept of building community and others will be attracted to this. Identified opportunities to create touch-points with the external community so that people know that the SCA exists. There was also talk of the importance of not overextending ourselves in our enthusiasm but to remain aware of how much work and effort each of us personally want to/are able to invest in shire activities. No decisions or actions were taken as a result of this discussion. The seneschal asked each member present to consider reflecting on the content this event and be prepared to continue to the discussion next business meeting.
5. Being that there has been no bid received for Siege of Glengary, motion made to suspend Siege of Glengary for this year. Motion passed by majority. However, Bruno is working on an idea for a possible 1-day event in the Fall. More to come later.
6. Rattan practice to be held at 1pm this Sunday.
7. Hrefna posed that Sylvan Glen was asked about interest in hosting the AEthelmearc A&S champions event on Oct 28. No interest was voiced and so no action was taken. Hrefna will report back this information regarding Sylvan Glen declination.
Being no further business, meeting was adjourned 8:45p.
Next meeting: March 7, 2017. 7pm. Hospice of the Panhandle.
Orlando di Bene del Vinta,
Chronicler

Shire Day in the Park Planning Meeting, Jan 15, 2017

We had a very productive meeting today planning our shire days in the park for the upcoming spring!

Our first day will be May 21 at 1 pm.

There will be heavy fighting, youth heavy fighting and fencing!

We will also have two classes in a hands on demonstration style — marshmallow catapults for kids and a beaded bracelet class for adults!

We will also be doing our regular potluck grilling.

A full schedule of all the activities will be forthcoming so watch for it!

I want to encourage all shire members to come out and support this activity. Its one day a month — it is a great way to showcase our shire and we hope to be able to grow ourshire through this activity.

As it was during 2016, this activity will be on the third Sunday of each month at War Memorial Park in Martinsburg, WV from 1 pm – 4 pm.

Please mark your calendars!

Thanks

Elektra, seneschal

Shire of Sylvan Glen- Business Meeting – 1/3/2017 –7 PM

Present: Elektra, Arianna, Ursula, Snaebjorn, Bera, Chauncey, Orlando, Hrefna, Grimolfr, Reina, Catherine

MEETING MINUTES – approve December’s minutes 

 OPENING:

• Introduce newcomers (none)
• Awards or accomplishments? 
• Write in awards – any notable items seen from other members? 

 NEW BUSINESS

 GUILD REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion

• INKS Guild – Angelino/Ursula—still meeting on Wednesdays, refer to calendar.
• Cooks Guild – Met in December. Meeting 3rd and 5th Tuesday in January then return to usual schedule in February (2nd and 4th Tues). Putting together a recipe book. 2017 focus is working on our period technique and technical terminology. 

 ACTIVITY OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless deemed

necessary• Rapier – Takeda – on hiatus

• Heavy – Bruno on hiatus. Planning to start heavy practice at Able Gamers office. Details forthcoming. 
• Archery – Seumas — on hiatus
• Thrown Weapons – Grimolfr – on hiatus
• Youth fighting – Elektra—on hiatus
• A&S – Arianna- See Guild Reports above. 

 ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless necessary

• Exchequer – Laurentia
Balance? No report
Reimbursements? No report 
• Chatelaine – Reina. Nothing to report.
• Webminister – Samin  will post when updates are done to draw attention to the website and to check for accuracy
• Herald – Takeda. No report. 
• Historian – Katharine. No report.
• Chronicler – Orlando- nothing to report
• MOL – Jacques and Umbriana. No report. 

 CALENDAR REVIEW 

• Shire Day in the Park on hiatus for winter
• Upcoming events:
Ice Dragon
Shire 12th Night. 

 OLD BUSINESS

• Shire 12th Night – Reina/Tiberius- Feb 4th @ Hospice of the Panhandle. Everyone come and bring a friend!
• Crown Tourney – Hrefna. On schedule just waiting for contract. Wants to put together a welcome basket for incoming Prince/ Princess. Please look at what you might be able to donate (stamps, gas cards, largess, and other things they might be able to use during Their reign). Will soon start posting needs for positions and tasks (although not a lot will be needed). 
• Library Demo – Reina- Proposed date is first Saturday in June (June 3rd) and will be presented to Board this month for approval. 
• Siege 2017 – No current bid but it is in the works. Looking for a viable site other than Jefferson Co Fairgrounds. Reina to reach out to Jeff Co Fairgrounds just to have a backup plan in case another site is not available. 

 SENESCHAL MINUTES

• Agenda getting shorter – not a lot going on. Discussion regarding ideas to revitalize group as things seem to be slowing down and interest waning. A planning group for Shire Day in the Park to meet to plan and organize activities (whoever wants to come is invited). Elektra to announce to shire list the date and time.  Shire Day in the Park to resume in April. 

 OPEN FLOOR

Chauncey started a new job today and will be off on both Saturday and Sunday starting in February

Starting in the Fall, Bera is making Snaebjorn start square dancing and would love to have others join them

Meeting adjourned 8:07pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Orlando di Bene del Vinta

Chronicler

 

Business Meeting Agenda – 11/1/2016 – 7:00pm

** REMINDER: Shire meetings  now begin at 7pm on the first Tuesday of every month (other than August)**

ATTENDING: Ursula, Orlando, Elektra, Bruno, Seamus, Katharine, Chauncey, Hrefna, Grimòlfr, Arianna, Lasairfhiona 

 

MEETING MINUTES – approve October’s minutes

 

OPENING:

• Introduce newcomers
• Awards or accomplishments? Durante won QRC. 

 

NEW BUSINESS

• Crown Tourney is official – vivat Hrefna! Will be a consort’s tea. Waiting to connect with the royal liaison. Everything on track for now. More later. 
• Library demo meeting report – Reina, Katharine, and Grimòlfr attended. Name change is wanted. They are waiting on us for a date. Tentative date June 3rd. Katharine will make a Facebook group and post to the shire list.
• Siege 2017 – No bid yet, in the works. If you are working on one and haven’t notified the seneschal of your intention, please do so ASAP.
• Bylaws change proposal. Proposing the following changes to our official bylaws: 
Section III, C, ii a: “An officer may succeed him/herself,” to  “An officer may succeed him/herself, but may only serve two consecutive terms.”
Section IV, H, “The minutes of all business and special meetings shall be recorded and published (in summary form) in the next issue of the shire newsletter,” to The minutes of all business and special meetings shall be recorded and published (in summary form) via the official communication channel with the shire,

 

GUILD REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion

• INKS Guild – Angelino/Ursula—still meeting on Wednesdays, refer to calendar.
• Cooks Guild – Etain – still meeting, refer to calendar

 

ACTIVITY OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless deemed necessary

• Rapier – Takeda – we been stabbing people. Durante won the tournament and has been honored with becoming the Queens Rapier Champion! The new site (with indoor accommodations) is working well, several small issues are being taken care of.
• Heavy – Bruno—Shire day in the park is going good. 2 new interested fighters.
• Archery – Seumas —season is over. Will resume in the spring. 
• Thrown Weapons – Grimolfr – hoping to have at least one more practice before the end of season. 
• Youth fighting – Elektra—practices are held at Shire Day in the Park. Will not be holding practices over winter/tax season.
• A&S – Arianna- not a lot going on here. People doing individual projects. Still looking for deputy and for teachers for day in the park.

 

ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless necessary

• Exchequer – Laurentia
o Balance?
o Reimbursements – get in touch with Laurentia, sick tonight
o Moving storage – reducing size of storage to a 5×10 unit that is half the price. Moving party Sunday Nov 6 at 3:00 p.m. need volunteers
• Chatelaine – Reina – Continued interest in our Saturday in the Park activities I have received two emails from people moving into our area that are interested in getting started in the SCA and it looks like some of our newcomers are getting more active. If you have borrowed garb from gold key please be sure to return it soon so that I can get gold key situated as I am starting to work on it.
• Webminister – Samin – website has been updated late due to hurricane. Samin is visiting family in SC and will update after she returns.
• Herald – Takeda –have been working with Durante on his alternate persona name and device. It is coming along and looks beautiful, it will likely be a challenge through heraldic bureaucracy, but we hazunshakeable period documentation, and I and the client are very stubborn and excellent at debate
• Historian – 
• Chronicler – no report
• MOL – 

 

CALENDAR REVIEW 

• Shire Day in the Park will be the Shire Thanksgiving on November 20 from 2-5. 
• Upcoming events?

 

OLD BUSINESS

• Shire 12th Night – Feb 4. Location still to be announced. Event announcement not yet on Kingdom calendar.
• Shire Thanksgiving— $150 for Tuscarora Ruritan. Will coincide with and serve as Shire Day in the Park. Donations will be asked for but shire will pick up the rest. 

 

SENESCHAL MINUTES

None 

OPEN FLOOR

None

Meeting adjourned  7:30p.

Respectfully submitted,

Maestro Orlando di Bene del Vinta,

Chronicler 

 

Business Meeting Agenda – 10/4/2016 – 7:30 PM

**PLEASE NOTE: Starting in November, business meetings will begin at 7pm**

ATTENDING: Elektra, Ursula, Snaebjorn, Bera, Chauncy, Chatherine, Hrefna, Grimòlfr, Orlando, Etain, Richard, Arianna, Jacques, Umbriana 

 

MEETING MINUTES – September’s minutes approved.

 

OPENING:

• Introduce newcomers- none tonight. 
• Awards or accomplishments- Orlando installed as Jewel Herald. Andreas was the runner up in crown tourney. 
• Notable items seen from other members (ideas for writing in awards!)- Their Majesties are looking for award recommendations. 

 

NEW BUSINESS

• Shire 12th night bid – Tiberius/Reina- Been submitted to financial committee and is being reviewed. No-fee event. Two potential sites (final location will be determined based on whether Their Majesties can, in fact, attend). After verbal review of the bid by the seneschal, Hrefna motioned to accepted the bid. Seconded by Bera. Vote passed unanimously. 
• Shire Thanksgiving – Will use 3rd Sunday for this activity. Seneschal to follow up with securing a location that will accommodate they typical Shire Day in the Park activities. Final plans to be presented in November business meeting. 
• Siege 2017 – Reina and Samin are working on a bid for 2017. Looking at using Camp Frame site. Hoping for a bid for next shire meeting. 

 

GUILD REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion

• INKS Guild – nothing to report
• Cooks Guild – trying to reorganize. Cookout last time using period techniques on the grill and period foods. Next meeting looking at what other culinary guilds in other groups are doing. 
• Sewing – nothing to report

 

ACTIVITY OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless deemed necessary

• Rapier – Takeda – Durante got long sword auth, Takeda now warranted full cut marshal, working on an indoor winter site. Regular Sunday practices continue.
• Heavy – Bruno—practices held monthly at Shire Day in the Park. Good turn out recently with several new fighters.
• Archery – Seumas — currently on hiatus due to injury. 
• Thrown Weapons – Grimolfr – currently on hiatus due to injury.
• Youth fighting – Elektra—practices are held at Shire Day in the Park. Have been averaging about 5-6 youth, mostly division 3. 
• A&S – Arianna- guilds meeting (see report above) Still looking for teachers for Shire day in the park and would like to find an additional active deputy. Oct 11 meeting will be looking at what other guilds are doing in the society.

 

ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS REPORTS – in minutes; no meeting discussion unless necessary

• Exchequer –
o Balance $8063.78. Site fee and ports potties for Siege still outstanding. ~$1100 in fees.
• Chatelaine – Reina – continue to have new people show up to SDITP. Had a few new people at Siege. Still working on gold key – planning a night for fixing up gold key.
• Webminister – Samin – website is up and running.
• Herald – Takeda – no report
• Historian – Katharine
• Chronicler – Nothing to report
• MOL – Jacques volunteered to take over this position

 

CALENDAR REVIEW 

• Shire Day in the Park – next one is Oct 16 – 
o Last month we had a great turn out – keep up the good work!
o Grilling, bring a side.
o Volunteers to teach a class? Anything anyone would like to learn?
o Need a cold weather location to keep this going thru winter-ideas?

 

OLD BUSINESS

• Crown Tourney bid for Spring 2017. Bid by Hrefna is submitted to Their Highnesses. Waiting on word. No decision has been made. 
• Library Demo – shire committee to attend Library’s October meeting – October 20 at 5 p.m. at North Berkeley library. List of suggestions and ideas presented by Catherine. 

 

SENESCHAL MINUTES

• Bylaws & financial policy committee volunteers Bera, Reina, Griffin, Katharine, Orlando, Takeda – new meeting: October 12, 6:30p. Elektra’s home. 
• Next shire business meeting will be at 7:00 and will continue at that time moving forward. Still on first Tuesday. 

 

OPEN FLOOR

-Congrats to Umbriana for becoming a lifetime member of the Girl Scouts

Meeting adjourned 8:20p.

Faithfullly submitted,

Maestro Orlando di Bene del Vinta,

Chronicler

Business Meeting  Tuesday, 9/6/16     7:30 PM

Hospice of the Panhandle, 330 Hospice Ln, Kearneysville, WV 25430

 

ATTENDING: Elektra, Orlando, Samin, Hrefna, Andreas, Kali, Bera, Griffin, Grimòlfr, Snaebjjorn, Rufus, Eleanor, Arianna, Moira, Ylaire, Ursula, Angellino, Laurentia, Reina, Umbria, Jacques

MEETING MINUTES – approve July’s minutes

 

OPENING:

1. Introduce newcomers

2. Awards or accomplishments? Hrefna Golden Escarbuncle. Hunter Silver Sycamore, Leonardus Golden Alce

3. Notable items seen from other members (ideas for writing in awards!). Congrats to Samin for winning the.   A&S competition at Siege of Glengary and for all of her efforts in the A&S world. Reina for her efforts at Siege.

4. Siege Report – Laurentia. Still early. No hard data at this point to report. TRM were very complimentary of feast and the event itself. Thank yous were extended to individual members for their contributions.

 

NEW BUSINESS

1. Siege meeting discussion & dinner – next Wednesday, Sept 14 at Elektra’s house, 6:30 p.m. bring food to share. Brainstorming date, location, staffing, other ideas for improvement on the execution of this event.

2. Visconti Scribal Workshop – Beth Nagy contact. No date yet, poss. Oct 1, 30 or Nov 5. Cost will be $10 per person. Mistress Antoinette de la Croix to come and teach how to work a scroll from blank to complete with calligraphy in workshop (gold leaf, white work, etc)

3. Shire 12th Night / Kingdom 12th night bid – in the works – Tiberius/Reina. Waiting on finalization of site. If Kingdom, 1/14; if Shire only, first weekend in February

 

4. Shire Thanksgiving: Do we want to do this? Will table until October business meeting.

GUILD REPORTS – meetings updated on calendar

• INKS Guild – Angelino/Ursula- Look at calendar for meeting dates/ times.
• Cooks Guild – Etain- Assisted with Siege prep and execution. See calendar for dates/ times. 
• Sewing – Elektra- See calendar.  

 

ACTIVITY OFFICERS REPORTS 

• Rapier – Takeda- Regular practices at Alianora’s home. See calendar.  
• Heavy – Bruno- Shire day in the park. See calendar.  
• Archery – Seumas — currently on hiatus due to injury. No other viable marshal alternatives.
• Thrown Weapons – Grimolfr – currently on hiatus due to injury. Healing…may be able to start practices again in the near future. Need a suitable site. Still looking. 
• Youth fighting – Elektra- practice at Shire day in the park. Pretty good turnout. Mostly division 2 and 3. 
• A&S – Arianna- running classes at Shire day in the park and at Siege. Guilds running as previously reported. Looking for new teachers and classes. 

 

ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS REPORTS

• Exchequer – Laurentia
o Balance? $8231.99 (missing a few expenses). Feast and a few things for Siege under budget. 
o Reimbursements- none.
No update yet on moving shire storage unit to smaller unity.
• Chatelaine – Reina- New people coming to Day in the Park. Few other contacts. 
• Webminister – Samin- site being regularly updated with activities. Photos from Siege uploaded. Feel free to tag photos on Facebook photos. Comments are appreciated on photos so there is story accompanying the photo.  
• Herald – Takeda – no report
• Historian – Katharine- no report
• Chronicler – Orlando- nothing to report

 

CALENDAR REVIEW 

• Samin has been updating calendar (thanks Samin!)
• Shire in the Park – next one is Sept 18 – will be grilling, bring a side.
• Upcoming events: see kingdom calendar several events upcoming. Helvetia was plugged as a really cool experience despite the long distance to travel. 

 

OLD BUSINESS

• Crown Tourney bid for Spring 2017 – Hrefna- now working on a bid. Presented to shire and reviewed. Motion by Orlando to accept bid as is pending site visit later this week. Seconded by several people. Motion passes unanimously with two abstentions by Andreas and Jacques. 
• Library Demo – shire committee to attend Library’s October meeting (3rd Thursday 5pm every month)– Elektra, Reina, Katharine, Bera attending. All others welcome to attend. 

 

SENESCHAL MINUTES

• Comments on Siege
o Autocrat in place by end of Oct
o Deputy autocrat to become following year’s autocrat
o Meeting after each siege to discuss next siege
• Bylaws & financial policy committee volunteers Bera, Reina, Katharine, Orlando, Takeda. First meeting 9/28 @ 6:30p at Elektra’s home. 
• Change meeting time. Discussion ensued. Meetings will begin 7:00p starting with November meeting. 
• Shire Tokens as gratitude and recognition for efforts by shire members. Discussed different strategies for how this could be done, what was discussed and worked on in the past, etc. Action tabled at this time. 

 

 

OPEN FLOOR

Griffin in the process of moving to Arizona. Has leather craft kit if someone wants it.

Arianna expressed thanks for all the help with Siege prep. 

Meeting adjourned 8:42p.

Respectfully submitted,

Maestro Orlando di Bene deal Vinta,

Chronicler

External link disclaimer:

All external links are not part of the Shire of Sylvan Glen’s web site.  Inclusion of a page or site here is neither implicit nor explicit endorsement of the site.  Further, SCA. Inc. is not responsible for content outside of  http://sylvanglen.info/